Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Introduction

As one could surmise from the title, I'm a fan of Doctor Who. With the original series consisting primarily of half hour long episodes, I've often enjoyed watching the show in small-daily doses. This format appeals to my compulsive-obsessive mentality, and keeps me from getting burnt out on of the show by interfering with my other interests and responsibilities. Starting this blog allows me to document my impression of the episodes while they are fresh on my mind as I watch them on a daily basis.

I started my current project of watching the series from the beginning last October, but of course at this pace, it will be a couple of years before I get to the modern series. I want this blog to contain my thoughts on the newer episodes a lot sooner, so with that in mind, I'm setting the following rules. To most it may seem silly to limit myself this way, but setting these rules makes it a bit of a game, and, at least to me, adds a bit of fun.

Every day I will make a reasonable attempt to watch at least one episode of Doctor Who, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures, or even the K-9 pilot from 1980. I missed SyFy's Christmas day broadcast of the recent K-9 series, and am somewhat skeptical about how canonical that series is. I will make an effort to at least watch a few episodes of that series if and when it is broadcast again in order to judge whether it is worthy of inclusion in this project. I will include audio versions of missing episodes released by BBC licensing when and where they come up in the current project. I am excluding the 60's Dalek films, fan produced videos, and documentary films as I am hoping to use this blog to examine the canon of the Doctor Who universe,  and these items are clearly not canon, and/or examine the show from a real-world perspective.

Priority for the daily episodes will be as follows: Any new episodes will, of course, be viewed the day of release. Also, any rerun episodes broadcast on a channel available on my cable provider at a time compatible with my work and family schedule will be watched as broadcast. On the days in which there are no episodes meeting the above criteria, I will watch an episode from my collection, prioritizing any newly obtained episodes and falling back to the default of my current watch-through project when caught up with everything else. The one exception to the newly obtained episode priority will be when I purchase a story which is coming up shortly in the view-through project, as I will watch these in the proper order of the series.

I have set these rules with the idea of keeping a balance between the old and new series, and to allow multiple viewings of current episodes as it often takes multiple viewings to catch many details and truly examine them from a canon perspective. Of course, I reserve the right to change the rules as I see fit, but I will refrain from doing so without a good and specific reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment